Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Grater Gardens in Summer Bloom

Being home with Burke has given me more time this year to spend in the yard. We had such a mild and long spring that everything grew extra big before it bloomed. I carry Burke around in a little pouch out in front of me and narrate as I garden every day. "Mom is watering the plants, plants need water to grow." "Mom is dead heading the garlic chives." "Those purple flowers are lavender, and those pink flowers are echinacea." "Mom is getting rid of the spider webs, we don't like spiders. Well, you can like spiders if you want to, but Mom doesn't like them at all." That sort of thing. :) He seems to be fascinated by everything and has started to grab the hose or pruner handles to help me out. I was even washing my hands today at the sink and he reached his little chubby hands out and stuck them under the water. It was the cutest thing ever! Enjoy these pictures of our beautiful garden this year.

This is the view from our kitchen window. I love the pot with all the decorative grass in it. Sonya helped me pick those out. Rosemary, thyme and basil in the small pots.


Impatiens.


The back deck is such a relaxing place to come and sit in the shade.


View from upper deck to lower one.


Close up of decorative grass pot. My favorite one this year.


Mr. Gnome is taking a break from working hard and resting in the shade.


Front garden next to our front door. Someday I'll really spruce this up. I think it has too much green and not enough color during the summer months. It helps when the pink zinnias and purple russian sage finally bloom in late summer, but that won't happen for a few more weeks.


I put this path in a few weeks ago. It goes from our driveway into the front lawn. We were always walking there so Stu suggested putting a path. When the green moss fills in over the next few years it look even better.


Purple gazing ball amidst the lavender.


Simon waiting patiently for me to throw the ball. He is feeling MUCH better by the way. Almost back to his normal athletic self. Thank goodness!!!


I love this view of the front yard. I planted 3 white daisy bushes in the fall just to the left of the arch (that Stu and I got married under) and they are about 3 feet tall and so beautiful!


Last year I dug out a bunch of grass on this side of the driveway with plans to have another sun flower garden, but didn't do anything else to it because I was all preggo and too hot to work outside. This spring I finally finished it and everything is starting to bloom. It is so pretty and one of my favorite spots in the yard now.


The garden by the new mailbox sure turned out pretty this year. I love lavender. It's pretty to look at in a garden and so nice to use for a flower arrangement inside cause it smells so good.


Close up of the white daisies.


Pink echinacea. I transplanted 2 of these flowers from another place in our yard 3 years ago and they keep spreading and spreading. I'm ok with that cause I think they are SO beautiful. :)


And a quick thank you to my wonderful, handsome husband...Stu, you are the best! Thank you for providing for our family and making it possible for me to stay home and take care of our little munchkin and make our home beautiful. I love you!

3 comments:

  1. Rach, you sure have a beautiful yard & family! That's cute that Burke loves to garden with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks amazing Rachel! And Stu you are the best! Keep it up you two! Love you and your great family.

    ReplyDelete